This is the original recipe for the famous alfajores, just like my grandmother used to make.
To make the alfajores you are going to need:
- 7 oz. buttter
- 7 oz. all purpose flour
- 10 oz. corn scratch
- 1/2 tsp. baking soda
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 5 oz. sugar
- 3 eggs yolks
- 1 tsp conac
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 tsp lemon zest
Dulce de leche or Caramel and shredded dry coconut.
- Pre heat the oven to 325
- Sift the flour, corn scratch, baking powder and baking soda. Put aside.
- In a stand alone mixer, mix the butter and sugar for 3 min. Add the eggs yolks one a the time, the conac, vanilla, and lemon. Add the flour mixture. The dough should be very dry and crumbly.
- Roll the dough on a flat surface sprinkled with flour until it is 1/4 inch thick. Cut out circles 2 inches in diameter.
- Bake in a non-stick pan or on parchment paper for about 10 to 15 min or until very light golden brown.
- Let it cool for 30 min before spreading on dulce de leche to make a sandwich .